Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Family History

I got onto the new family search website the other day to familiarize myself with it. I have an uncle Bob who lives in Spanaway, Washington that does a ton of family history work. His wife's name is Patricia. While I was on family search, I noticed Bob Mower edited some information on one of my ancestors. I had been meaning to call him to ask for some family names to do work for, so I just looked at the email address and emailed him. This was his response...
Dear Erin,

I did not know I had a niece. I’m so happy!

I am proud of your efforts to attend the temple regularly. You will be blessed for your efforts and service. My wife (Patty) and I try to attend the temple every week. Since we started this routine, we enjoy blessings beyond my current comprehension. In other words, we both experience new dimensions of spirituality that transcend my ability to express.

Now, the sad news, although we are probably related, I have no idea who you are. Who do you suppose our common ancestor is? I don’t know of any Mower relatives active in the church (other than myself and one of my sisters.)

I am glad and excited to meet you. I would like to send you baptisms and confirmations.

Uncle Bob


When I read this post, I was confused at first, wondering if my uncle forgot about his brother Ron, who has been active since he was a kid. I thought maybe he was getting sick and losing his mind, but it turns out there is another Bob Mower who lives in Washington with a wife named Patty that happens to do a ton of family history work and attends the temple frequently. I thought this was very funny! It wasn't until I remembered what city my Uncle Bob lives in that I realized they weren't the same person.

3 comments:

Rachel Leslie said...

That is pretty good. I somehow don't think this story will make itself into the next Ensign though. ha!

Tiffany said...

That's awesome!! You made his day I bet.

Michelle said...

That is so funny! When I was reading the response I was pretty confused. Did you end up getting any names to do?