Sometimes I use bath time as a babysitter when I don't want to play with Calvin. Tonight I asked if he wanted to swim like a fish and crawl like a crab, and he got really excited. I helped him undress and sent him upstairs, but got distracted for a few minutes before I remembered to go help him. When I finally went up to help him, I found him sitting in the bathtub in a pitch-black room waiting patiently for me to come turn the water on. I thought it was funny and worth sharing.

We've taken Calvin to see the tide pools a couple of times recently, and he loves the starfish and crabs. He's not a big fan of the anemones, especially when Brian pokes them to make them move. He likes the beach, but is still nervous about the ocean (it's huge and it's kind of loud where it breaks on the rocks). He's getting a little braver each time we go. He asks to go to the beach every few days, and now he usually asks to touch the ocean even though he rarely lets us get close enough. He's pretty content with getting in the bath and pretending we are at the ocean.
Last week Brian took Calvin to the beach and they had a great time together. They did all the usual beach stuff and actually got to touch the ocean (on accident). Brian took Calvin out onto some rocks when the waves were low so that Calvin wouldn't suspect anything. Then the waves came up and surrounded the rock so they were on an island, all part of Brian's plan to help Calvin get comfortable with the ocean. Calvin liked seeing the ocean come up so close but was also glad that he didn't have to stand in it. When they got down, another wave came up and they tried in vain to outrun it . Calvin was wet and cold and not too happy about standing in the waves. Not part of the plan. Then his sandal fell off and started drifting out to sea, so Brian lunged to grab it and pulled Calvin over, into the ocean. Oops! Also not part of the plan. He took it pretty well but he did beg to go home after that.
In other news, Brian finished his first quarter last week and doesn't have to go back until the beginning of January. We've decided to stay in California for the Christmas holiday (too many weddings this year). It's been fun talking about different things our families have done for Christmas, and things we would like to do with our own family. It is kind of sad to not see the pretty snow that comes with the holiday season, but I have been enjoying the fact that Calvin and I can go outside without jackets during the day still. I think I am going to enjoy California. The baby is due 8 weeks from now, and I'm down to appointments every two weeks. We're getting pretty excited about having another child, but nervous about the lack of sleep that comes with it. It's fun to feel and watch her squirm. My stomach moves in all kinds of different directions, and I get a lot of comments at church about how much my stomach moves.
1 comment:
what a cutie. wish we could come play at the beach with you. i'm planning to do swimming lessons with Bo this winter so, he'll hopefully be a little less scared of the water when we go to Hawaii in the spring.
Post a Comment