
I have been taking a research-based class on childhood obesity this semester and have really been enjoying it. For a final project we have to give a presentation, and my topic is healthy ways to reward/punish children. We've found that rewarding/punishing with food isn't a good thing. What are some ways you have done this without food? I use stickers with my sunbeams and it works wonders, but other than that I do not know. Some feedback would be nice. Thanks!
4 comments:
I worked for a lady as a Nanny that had chore charts and chore bucks and they were a great way to dicipline her children. You have a chart with the days of the week on the top and the list of chores on the side. For each chore the child does the child can cross it off for the day. Then for each chore the get chore bucks. Once a week the child can spend the chore bucks (great at the start of FHE)each prize has a different prise. They can get prizes other then food. For bad behaivor they lose chore bucks and for good behaior the can gain extra chore bucks. There are a lot of variations to this idea.
I think there are many lessons taught from a family project like this.
With Julian we try and reward good behavior with a lot of positive comments. He's still only 18 months so obviously our tactics are rather rudementary, but it helps him to want to keep doing it because we cheer for him and say "yay!" he loves it. I've also heard of people having a jar of beans or stars or something along those lines and they get an extra star, sticker, bean, etc for each good act and a certain number taken depending on the bad behavior. They have a goal, some toy or a special movie or the zoo or something that they are trying to earn for. I think that later this will be useful :)
I usually reward Stan by letting him do something special with me during Henry's nap, like reading a book or playing a game. If both boys are awake, and i need them to clean up, I let them put on some good running music and let them run in a circle in the clean room when it's done (they love to run in a circle). I can also reward Stan by letting him have a friend over to play. Sometimes he falls for something silly like "if you brush your teeth I'll swing you upside-down while I sing you a song"- anything out of the ordinary that sounds like fun. but if he plays with Henry while I take a shower, he gets candy :)
Hey Erin,
So you know Mia and know she can be a little stubborn. She really likes stickers and charts at the babysitter but that just won't do it for her at home. I let her have hand lotion if she does good things. I potty trained her in 3 days by letting her use my smelly lotion each time she was successful. Lotion is a silly reward but for her it was important and desired. Her personality is such that she also needs lots of praise! (Both kids are this way)
I guess that is my contribution, praise and something important to the individual child.
Post a Comment