Monday, October 12, 2009

The perks of attending BYU

I was thinking about how hard it is to go to school with a baby, but as I was thinking about it, I realized that I have it pretty easy being at BYU.
1. Class- I haven't had to take Calvin to class yet, but my teachers have all said it would be ok if I had to bring him. Some even ask why I never do. I have heard so many people who went to different colleges talk about how their professors always say to never even think about bringing their babies to class with them.
2. Understanding teachers- My infectious disease teacher is so nice and understanding. I have only gone to class 3 times and have only turned in one assignment on time. I had a big research paper due 2 weeks ago. He gave the class another week to get it turned in. After that, he gave me another week. What a good guy. He hasn't docked any points for my papers coming in 1 week late every week. I've never had a professor this understanding before the whole time I've been here. Now that I have a baby, it is all of a sudden ok to do poorly.
3. The family history library. This is my favorite part. Today I was looking for a loud place to study, but there weren't any computers in the loud zone of the library. This was kind of frustrating, but then I remembered the regional family history library is in the library on campus and people are always talking in there. Calvin got kind of fussy, so I was holding him and typing one handed. The next thing I knew, a cute little old man missionary said..."I know 4 grandmas and 3 grandpas sitting behind you that are just dying to hold that cute baby of yours." I had 7 babysitters for 3 whole hours today! It was so nice to get some things done. As I was leaving, they were super bummed that I took Calvin away from them and they made me promise to come back. I think I might!

Only at BYU!

3 comments:

Laura Morris said...

That's awesome! I never thought of the Family History library. I'll have to remember that.

Erin Gibbons said...

Wow that is so funny! I wish I had gone to the Family History Library with (my) Calvin! I can't believe you got 3 whole hours of work done, that's so awesome! Just keep running to the finish line, it's all worth it in the end and even better because you did it WITH a baby! But you have to finish! and then you have a huge accomplishment to look back on with happiness and a sigh of relief!

Katie!! said...

you are AWESOME!! i don't know how you do it all with a baby!! keep up the good work!