Last spring, when I was in the young women's presidency (a youth group in the Mormon church designed to foster faith in Jesus Christ and to help the youth learn good decision making skills, among other things) I decided to work on personal progress with the girls. While working on "Faith" I did some reading in the Book of Mormon about some mothers who instilled a deep amount of faith in their sons, and "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" and a talk entitled "Mother Told Me" by Elder Bradley D. Foster (a leader in the mormon church). His talk was very inspiring. He spoke of how his father died when his mother had four young children, and that even though she felt alone, and I am sure was scared and discouraged, she faced her adversity with faith and courage. She promised her children that if they stayed on the road of truth, the end would be better than the beginning. He also related a story of a friend who read a book to his son that had no words, only pictures. The dad would make up the story as he went, and the son kept stopping him and saying things like "dad, it isn't a coat, it is a jacket". The dad was perplexed and said, "Eric, there are no words in this book, just pictures. Why do you insist that it's a jacket?" Eric answered, "because mother told me". From reading these two things from the talk, a question came to mind. "What qualities do women (young and old, married or not married, mothers or those who are not mothers) need to teach children to have faith and to base their decisions on gospel truths?" I decided that a mother needs learn about the Savior and develop faith in her own life. Why? Because her role is to teach her child by both word and deed. I have watched so many women teach children about the savior by telling them about Him, and by loving like he loves. I am grateful for their example. I have also seen women who do not have children of their own love other children with the love of Jesus and those children (my best friend from home for example) will be grateful their whole lives I am sure.
*** What do you think are essential qualities a woman should develop so that she can teach her children to make good decisions in life by developing faith in Jesus Christ and His message? ***
No comments:
Post a Comment