During Calvin's nap today, I decided to go outside and work on the yard. When I was pulling weeds, an 11-year-old girl came up to me and said, "Are you gardening?" me: "yes, do you like to garden?" Her: "Oh, can I please help?". I was so excited by her gesture to help because just 10 minutes before I was hoping I would get a youth calling because I miss activity days. It was really fun to have an awkward pre-teen to hang out with for an hour. She talked like a machine, and told me some funny things that happen at home and that her mom would be so embarrassed if she knew. We talked about flowers, and our favorite fruits and vegetables for a while. I told her that I love bright red flowers. When I went inside to change Calvin's diaper, she told me she needed to run home to check on something really fast. I was surprised when she came back because she had gone home to cut some flowers out of her mom's flower bed (a bright red flower). The cutest part was that she tied the flowers together with a pony tail holder (the kind with weird marble things attached to them).
I am writing about this because it was an answer to my prayer today. I am having a hard time adjusting because there aren't many people in my situation that have time to go to the park with their kids, or go on a walk, etc., and Brian takes the car to Provo every day, so I can't just go to Provo whenever I am feeling like I need a friend. I am just grateful that Heavenly Father sent somebody to say hello, even if it was a little girl. She was so sweet, and kind. I am reminded of the talk given in General Conference about the power of children.
Below are pictures of my flowers from Katie.


Back to my thinking about a calling. We just got our new callings, and I am super excited because I got just what I was hoping for... A youth calling! :)
6 comments:
That's cute! Miss you guys! When are we going to get together to sew those hats?
How cute! You can always give me a call!! 801-376-8183
really cute story. i saw you walking with some people the other day when i was driving to pick tony up at work, i would have stopped but you were in the middle of the intersection. but i thought, i need to call her! two more weeks of school and then i can play more!
We need to party. What are you
What a sweet story! I bet you'll always remember that, and maybe it was just what she needed too!
The purple flowers are a nice touch. Thanks for posting. It was nice to see you again.
Post a Comment