We knew this day would come, yet in the back of our minds we thought we could escape the fate of poor piggy. This summer, Calvin asked who piggy's grandpa was and I said "Calvin, piggy doesn't have a grandpa, he is not real." Our sweet tender hearted boy cried a genuine sad cry. When we talk about our family, piggy is mentioned every time. When I ask who his best friends are, Calvin says daddy, mommy, Rebecca and piggy. Here is the story of Piggy Harris.
One cold crisp Christmas morning in Boise, Idaho, Calvin (4 months old) got two presents- a tiger and a pig. We wanted the tiger to be his sidekick. His name is Calvin after all. But pig was just too fluffy and soft. From that night on, Calvin slept with pig.
He even let pig ride on his vacuum.
He played some more.
He played outside with pig.
They had the same diapers at one point...
They bought a new (piece of crap) car together.
They spent a lot of time sleeping together. A LOT!
Needless to say, pig got a little dirty being carted around with this boy. When Rebecca joined our family, Calvin still named piggy as a member of his family before saying Rebecca.
Piggy has been to Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, California and Texas.
A few months ago, Calvin stopped sucking on his thumb, and even took naps without his beloved piggy. We thought the days of pig were coming to a close, but he all of a sudden couldn't fall asleep without him again. It was alright with me. Calvin slept, he was happy. I slept, I was happy. Brian slept, etc, etc.
On this seemingly ordinary day, pig disappeared. We went to the park and piggy came with. I put Calvin to bed, and piggy was gone. I walked almost all the way to the park and didn't find piggy. It was too dark for me to feel comfortable going to that dark lonely park alone. And that's the story of piggy's short (almost 3 year) life. Rest in peace piggy. Born- December 2009 Died- November 2012.










1 comment:
What a sweet post! I hope Calvin quickly adjusts to life without Piggy.
Post a Comment