Friday, April 26, 2013

Sweet Moments

It's easy to get caught up in the little things of life that are necessary, but not as important and urgent as we make them seem.  Things like keeping a clean and organized home, staying in touch with others, etc.  I made a goal this week to stay away from the computer for most of the days.  I found that I have a lot of time on my hands, and two beautiful children that love me.  They love to spend time with me and to feel my love.  There were a few moments today and yesterday that touched me.  Today we were doing normal things, but because I was present in mind I was able to see them as extraordinary.
Calvin and I were listening to some music and dancing.  The smile on his face as he asked me to copy his dance moves filled my heart.  As we danced, I was able to notice the carefree attitude that children have.  It reminded me of all the times my brother Charlie and I spun around until we were dizzy to make the ceiling move in circles.  To be a child is a wonderful blessing.  Heavenly Father gave us a time to not be weighed down by tasks, sins, etc.  As Children, we are able to learn how to be happy.  I find it interesting that we all wish we could go back to being children.  I think it is because we want to be happy and to find joy in small things again.  It's hard to do as an adult sometimes.  That is why I find that being a mother is so rewarding. One of the blessings of being a parent is that children help you feel young and experience what it is to be a child again.  I remember one recess as a child.  At my elementary school, there was a big grassy hill that was covered with dandelions.  I always enjoyed making necklaces out of them.  I found myself alone one time on that hill just looking up at the sky and feeling happy.  I often found myself deep in thought (including in the middle of little league softball games- that is why I played outfield I think).  While at the park today, I found Calvin sitting on a toy just looking around and smiling to himself.  I'd like to think he was doing the same thing.  I watched him as he spun around on the marry-go-round.  His face was priceless as he spun around watching the big kids move it around faster and faster.
I find myself on the floor often.  Since I've been experiencing back pain for the last 15 months, I'm always stretching and working on my core strength.  With that being said, I don't do much because a cute little 15 month old crawls right on top of me as soon as she notices I am on the floor.  She loves to bounce on my tummy.  She giggles and giggles until she can no longer breathe.  She imitates every sound and move of her brother.  She wants to be big just like him.  I've been able to enjoy watching her push her physical limits each day.  I love to hear and see the anticipation on her face and in her voice as she runs away and expects me to snatch her up.
I'm grateful for my opportunity (in a way) to experience childhood once more and to see the necessity of childhood in our progression to become more like our Eternal Father.  There is so much to be learned in our first years.  
For those of you who are struggling finding joy in your journey as a parent;  find a way to slow down and observe your little ones.  It only takes one sweet moment or smile from them to wash away your worries for some time.


4 comments:

Sara and Wade Jacobsen said...

This is a fabulous post Erin! Thanks so much for taking the time to write it.

Rachel Leslie said...

I have to remind myself to put away the computer too sometimes, but like you, I'm always glad I did.

Handsfullmom said...

Your family is adorable!

Erin Gibbons said...

So well said! Thanks for sharing!