Friday, January 30, 2009

Life Update

Brian and I started our semester about a month ago. It's really busy and we are already excited for it to be over.
Brian is taking 17 credits, working 20 hours, is the ward clerk, and he just finished applying for grad school. His job is pretty neat. He's a research assistant for one of his professors. He's been doing that since April and he really likes it. From August to December he conducted interviews and transcribed them. He then had to read through the interveiws and see what kind of findings he could come up with. Originally he thought he would be helping with the writing process of the paper, but it turns out he gets to write the whole paper on his own. They are looking to have it completed and submitted to sociology journals by March. He is also planning on presenting it at a Sociology conference in March. He is REALLY excited/nervous! This has been a busy and difficult task for him but great preparation for grad school and his career.
I am taking 17 credits as well. I like some of my classes, but there are a few that are extremely boring. I chose the wrong teachers for three of my classes. Two of them I chose because they worked better in my schedule and because I heard they were easier. Let's just say that listening to a teacher read the slide word for word is not very entertaining. Oh and the classes are 2 1/2 hours long during dinner time. I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of the classes. I've definately learned NOT to chose a teacher because they are easy. The other teachers may be hard, but at least you learn from them.
I'm really excited for my other classes because we're doing a lot of group projects promoting health in the community. We are working with Utah County's WIC program. They want to know what kind of practices in hospitals are discouraging mothers from breastfeeding such as the formula samples they give out during your stay, how many nurses are lactation specialists and what type of hours they are working, etc. We get to find that information out for WIC. I am really excited to work with this group.
Outside of school, there isn't too much going on. The apartment we live in is pretty small and we would like a little more room when the baby comes so once again we are going to move. If we weren't planning on being in Provo for another 2 years, we would just stay in our apartment. Our contract ends in August when I'm due and when I'm in the middle of finals for school. We decided it would probably be easier to move sooner. Our landlord was really nice and said that as long as we could show the apartment to people(he lives in Texas), and give them his email address, he would take care of the rest. We posted it on craigslist and people won't stop calling. He's sending a contract to a couple and once they sign it and pay the deposit we're good to go. We'll be moving back to our old apartment complex. The apartment will be ready in February. We asked them about it. They haven't started showing it and said they would just save it for us and we can move in in March. We sure got lucky.
This post is really long so I'll stop writing.

2 comments:

Stan said...

Thanks for the update. I love hearing what you guys are up to. That's great news about the apartment.

Saralyn said...

You will enjoy having a little more room with a baby. They come with loads of stuff. Good luck finding somebody to take over your contract.