Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Update

I think it is about time for an update. We are half way done with spring term and we only have 10 weeks until our due date. Brian started working for a new professor about 3 weeks ago. He is doing research on Utahan's views on immigration and he really enjoys it. He liked doing the marathon and families research, but he is more interested in race and ethnicity. He's taking 3 classes(two history classes and one sociology class) right now and feels like they are all the same and only likes one of them.

Other than school, Brian loves his calling as ward clerk. All of his clerks except for one have moved or been giving other callings, so he is trying to get other clerks called. Brian doesn't have much time for leisure, but he's counting down the days until spring term is over. He really likes to play racquetball and has found a few guys that want somebody to play with. As soon as classes are over he will be playing all of the time.

I too am taking 3 classes right now. Floral design is a fun class. I really enjoy making floral arrangements, etc. and giving them away. The last project I did was making Boutonnieres. My teacher said that if we do something with them where they were worn in public, we could get extra credit. There aren't any dances going on right now, so I couldn't give them to any of my young women. I decided to take one to a women in our ward in a nursing home. She really liked it, and we've been meaning to visit her so it worked out great.

I am also taking a program planning and evaluation class for my health major and I love it! Right now my group is working with Utah County Health Department on coming up with a program or enhancing an existing program aimed at reducing obesity rates among Utah adolescence. Our major project for this semester is coming up with this program and then writing a grant. The health department gets all of our work and if they like it, they will use it. I really like these projects because the health department really does use the work that we do. Knowing these projects are real and not just a grade gives me motivation to work hard.

I was excited to take environmental health, but the class is really long and the teacher shows too many videos. It doesn't help that it is 2 1/2 hours long right after another 2 1/2 hour long class. One thing I do like about the class is the assignments he gives. He will give us a senario and we have to gather information and write a "brief" that in real life would be given to the health department. This week we are looking at adverse health effects associated with living close to high voltage overhead power lines.

I had a hard time exercising at the beginning of the pregnancy because I was throwing up too much to stay hydrated. I've been doing really well for a while though. I have been walking with a friend from the ward which has been pretty enjoyable. Other than this, we haven't had much going on.


***I'll add pictures when I remember to bring the camera to campus.***

No comments: