Friday, May 1, 2009

What do we need?!

So I am going to start hitting the yard sales and craigslist for baby needs. Here is the question. What do I need? We don't have a ton of space, and we don't need to spend money on unnecessary things. I don't want to go and buy things that I don't end up using and take up space. I just want to get the necessities and then if we feel we need to get something else, we'll get it after the baby comes. Any advice?

3 comments:

Katie!! said...

erin! i just noticed that you have exactly 100 days left!! wooohooo!!! that is so exciting! :)

Becca said...

Well, definitely a carseat and stroller, of course. I'd also recommend a swing of some sort -- Jack liked one the first few weeks, then didn't like it for a few months, then he loved it for months on end. Also, we just used a pack and play with a bassinet insert in the top for the first 6 months (and could have kept using it), and it was much cheaper than a crib, portable, etc.

Stan said...

Hi Erin-
We also use a pack and play with a bassinet attachment instead of a crib. It takes up so much less space. You do not need a baby bathtub- they bathe just fine in a sink or in a regular dishpan. The baby tubs take up so much space and you can't really use it for anything else when you're done. Also, get a portable booster seat that straps onto a regular chair instead of a high chair- it's much more compact, you can take it with you to people's houses for dinner, and they can use it till they're three. I love getting "lots" of clothes off Craigs list and Ebay. We got three garbage sacks full of 0-6 month clothes for Mary for $70. It was easily less than $1 per item- better than thrift store prices and in better condition (and cuter). Also, you MUST get a Moby Wrap!!! Ask Shannon about hers, she can show you. Also, you don't need a fancy electric breast pump unless you're going to be pumping a LOT. A cheaper hand pump is more comfortable, in my opinion, and you can use it without plugging it in (like in the car on a road trip) and without making a bunch of noise. Good luck with the baby!