Saturday, February 5, 2011

Staying up way too late...

I really enjoy my sleep. That was the hardest adjustment I had to make after Calvin joined us. I had NO idea what it meant to be sleep deprived until I was up at night every 2 to 3 hours for months! Brian and I usually go to bed between 9 and 10 and wake up between 6 and 7. I love that feeling when I wake up to Calvin growling at his stuffed animals and being excited to wake up and play with him because I feel well rested. It is a rare thing for me to choose to go to bed late and sacrifice my precious sleep, but I just can't help it lately! I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I have been trying to teach myself how to sew. The only problem is that I have to wait until Calvin goes to bed.

I have been working on a few random projects and I want to share them with you. The first thing I did was sew a bag. We have been trying to teach the activity day girls how to sew a bag. The only problem is that I have only sewn straight lines on quilts with my mom there to re-thread the machine, replace broken needles, telling me what to do, etc. Task one: Learn how to sew a bag.

My friend Sam showed me how to do it on a Saturday afternoon, and then I ventured home that evening wanting to practice before that Wednesday (activity days). I quickly printed off a coupon for JoAnn's and bought fabric. It was agonizing having to wait until Monday to actually start it! During Calvin's nap and after he went to bed, I started the bag. The bag that took Sam 15 minutes to sew, took me a good 2 to 3 hours! I think it turned out pretty well for a person who does not even know how to sew on a curved line. Here it is!














My second project was bean bags for Calvin. I wanted to start another sewing project, but I didn't want to buy anymore fabric, so I used the scraps that I had from the purses. I know, Calvin has blue and pink flowery bean bags, but it is all that I had. :D At least most of them are blue right? These were a hit for most of the toddlers at stake aerobics the other day. They were all sitting with in a few feet of me just playing with them.
















My current project is much more time consuming and HARD! We have been using cloth diapers here and there for the past few months, and they have been saving us a lot of money. Surprisingly, they aren't much different than disposables, and the only difference is that you have to dump the waste into the toilet and launder them. After realizing that I could save tons of money by making my own, I decided to take on that project. I made my first one yesterday and today. After about 8 hours of cutting and sewing and being paranoid, I have completed my first one! I thought that black thread would look awesome on bright orange fabric, but that is only true if you can sew straight lines! I promise, my mom taught me how to sew straight lines, I just can't seem to remember how! So here is a picture, just ignore my terrible seams.
















And of course I can't blog without adding a picture of Calvin...

4 comments:

Sam said...

Good job for trying something new! I'm proud of you :)

Jolene said...

Awesome sewing! As for Calvin, I can understand the paint on the hands and belly, but did he kneel on the picture or paint his knees with his hands?

sienna said...

looks great! good job. I'm so impressed.

Erin said...

Jolene,
Calvin painted his knees and laughed the whole time. I thought it would be cool to paint his belly, but he didn't like that idea as much. What he liked even better was to take a long bubble bath.