http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/ci11006789.php
It was really small and did no damage at all, so it was kind of fun. It lasted about 4 seconds by my sleepy estimate.
And I've been thinking about things I like and dislike about living in Irvine so far. Here's my list; Erin might have a few others, but I'll let her write them down.
Things I like about Irvine
- BRAND-SPANKING NEW CARPET! They replaced it the day we drove down here, and it smells so fresh and clean. Our apartment overall is very nice and we're happy with it. Pictures to come soon.
- Driving in Irvine and Newport is way better than driving in Provo/Orem. The roads in Irvine are almost empty all the time, and people don't honk as much. Some of the freeways are kind of intimidating and we've gotten lost at least once, but the traffic was not as scary as I expected.
- Our neighbors are really nice and neighborly. It's really easy to meet people and everyone is very friendly. We got invited to dinner three times in the first two days we were here.
- There are a lot of kids where we live, so Calvin has lots of friends to play with. In Orem we had a hard time getting him to play outside ("It's too sunny out"), but here, he begs to go out with his friends all day.
- The weather is perfect. The high today is 72, and the low is 60. Yeah baby.
- We live closer to a temple here than we did in Orem.
- We also live closer to a beach than we did in Orem. We went yesterday and it was awesome.
- The plant and animal life here is unlike anything I've seen before. I don't recognize most of the trees and plants, so there's always something new and interesting to see no matter where we go. We have truffula trees near our apartment, just like in The Lorax.
- It's easier to run at sea level than at 4,500 feet.
Things I dislike about Irvine
- Food is expensive- $11 for 4 chicken breasts, potatoes actually cost something here, milk is almost $4/gallon, and the list goes on and on for this category
- The door handles in our apartment are the kind that you grab and pull down instead of turn, and now Calvin won't nap or go to bed because he can open the door. He is back in his crib tonight.
In other news, Erin isn't sick anymore! She is celebrating these first few days of the sick-free part of the pregnancy by baking. A lot. I fully endorse it. When I find the camera cable, I will add some pictures.
2 comments:
Sounds exciting. I'm so glad that everyone's been friendly and that you like your apartment. We walked by your old apartment in provo and Bo said "calwin?" And i had to explain to him that Calvin lives in California. So sad. We miss you guys but are excited for your new adventures.
I hope you really enjoy this time in Irvine -- Southern California is SO lovely, and I'm sure Calvin will warm to the beach. Our favorite beach there is the main one in Laguna, because it has a playground and tide-pools with hermit crabs in them.
Post a Comment